Quite often, people move into a new property spot mold issues, even when they did a home inspection. Now, you might think that mold is one of the reasons to conduct the home inspection in the first place. Well, a home inspector may report signs of any issues, but they will not go looking for it. It is even possible for a home inspector to miss mold altogether.
It could also be possible that the seller intentionally conceals the mold. But sometimes the mold issues are present in the home, waiting for the right conditions to grow. It may be unfortunate for you that the mold found the perfect condition after you bought the property.
Now, if you have found mold in a house you just purchased, you need to remove it immediately. However, you shouldn’t try to remove it yourself, instead hire a professional for mold removal and remediation.
Spotting the Signs
If you are concerned that your house has mold, here are a few methods to help to spot and deal with it.
1. If you see black spores spreading on surfaces, it is a sure sign of mold in your home.
2. Mold can cause cold and flu-like symptoms, so it may be an indication that you may have mold hiding somewhere.
3. You can smell a musty/dusty odor. Mold smells is one of the best ways to spot it even if you can’t see it.
4. You or your family member develops respiratory problems. Mold spores are airborne, so when you breathe them in, they can find their way into the lungs and cause breathing issues or trigger asthma symptoms.
5. You notice uneven patches on walls or floors. If dampness finds its way into your walls or floors and cause bubbling under your paint, squishy floors, etc., you can be certain that you have mold growing there as well.
Where does Mold Usually Hide?
Mold flourishes in places of the home where there is moisture, warmth, and darkness. The issue is that the areas where you are likely to find a combination of these elements are not always the most visible.
Here are a few common places mold can hide:
• Attics and Vents
What should you do when you spot Mold?
After you spot mold in your new property, it is essential that you act promptly to get rid of it. Mold is potentially hazardous to your health, and the health of others in your home.
In order to get rid of mold, it is best to hire professionals. But before hiring a company, make sure to do research, and check whether or not the company is licensed. You can also check their reviews and ratings.
If you’d like to know more about how we can help you, call us for a FREE Consultation at (504)326-6999.